Whether you want to build a solid foundation in your young horse or refresh an older horse’s manners, this colt-starting program, featuring “emotional training,” is for you. It’s based on techniques Stacy Westfall used to win the prestigious Road to the Horse colt-starting competition in 2006.
Stacy Westfall shows you how to introduce pressure to a horse in a safe environment so he’ll be able to control his fear in the real world, thus building his and your confidence, and making him a safer partner.
In Smart Start, you’ll learn how to:
- Read your horse’s body language to establish the communication necessary for safety and basic control
- Establish respect and build trust
- Develop responsiveness and self-confidence in your horse
- Gain independent control of his head, shoulders, and hips, which will increase your safety and ability to direct his movement both on the ground and under saddle
- Establish forward motion ― the key to control when you mount up
- Use verbal cues
- Despook your horse